Effective People Management & Coaching
"What's the plan for 2017?"
During this year thousands of managers will be preparing to have conversations with their teams regarding goals, performance targets and career objectives.
The technical aspects of management will of course play a crucial role during these conversations. The ability to ensure that goals are set and that the task at hand gets completed goes without saying.
But equally, with organisations in 2017 having increasingly flatter operating structures, slimmed down hierarchies and reduced HR support, many managers are also being required to have people conversations with the individuals they manage (in some cases for the first time).
Managing high performance, influencing behaviour, creating highly engaged teams and delivering effective 'consequence environments' are becoming a major part of a manager's remit. But research indicates that most managers (while strong across the technical aspects of managing) are much less experienced when it comes to managing at a people level.
The role of coaching is also becoming an essential skill for many managers, although interpretations about what is meant by coaching and when it should be used are often widely misunderstood.
Bringing the best out of teams through every day interactions
When it comes to effective people management, the role of annual appraisals and more regular meetings are only the tip of the iceberg. The experience of many of the highest performing teams is that their managers live and breathe the key principles of effective people management every day. Effective coaching and knowing when to coach goes hand in hand with this.
Quo Group have helped organisations including S&P Global, SThree, Dentons, Bupa and Assurant Solutions to develop brilliant people managers who:
- Understand the key characteristics they must know and understand about the people they manage.
- Use this information to flex their management style for each individual in order to motivate and drive performance
- Provide feedback (both observational / ‘on the job’ and in effective 1 to 1 meetings) in a way that maximises the likelihood of improved performance.
- Identify the necessary behaviours that drive optimal performance
- Develop and implement Manager Coaching Plans that deliver improvements with each individual managed.
- Understand how to pinpoint the winning behaviours of top performing staff.
- Know how (and when) to coach and reinforce winning behaviours to drive better customer service and performance across the whole team.
- Learn about the rules of employee engagement and how to get staff to go the extra mile.
- Learn the 14 reasons why people are not performing to their maximum.
- Fully understand the real sources of motivation and how to apply this knowledge to individuals.
- Understand the link between results/outputs and behaviour and know when to focus on which one.
- Know how to set improvement goals.
- Are equipped with a Performance Planning Model to help analyse and plan an approach for improving individual performance.
- Assist, coach, develop and engage first time and junior managers to excel and lead their teams successfully.
The impact of improved people management and effective coaching can be significant:
- A leading UK call centre operation increased cross selling revenue by nearly 50% after equipping line managers with enhanced people management skills.
- A major European energy business reduced sickness absence by two thirds in less than 3 months after focussing on the day to day interactions that managers had with their teams.
- With an enhanced people manager culture in place, in the space of 6 months, a global technology firm increased employee engagement from a score of 40 to 82, while cutting sickness absence by 75%
- A high performing UK insurance brand increased productivity by a further 30% following the deployment of a behavioural change and performance management programme for it's 300 managers.
Request a callback
Let us know the best way to contact you and a time that works for you and we will be in touchSend my details now